Friday 14 August 2009

Creativity

I miss writing just for the sake of writing. It’s something that I used to do a lot. Of course it helps if you’re in school, and they’re setting you the type of homework which you can lock yourself away with and fill page after page with words, ending someone else’s story, writing a poem on someone else’s topic. It’s not so easy when you’re meant to be coming up with all the ideas yourself. I’ve thought about fanfiction, but I don’t think it’s the type of thing that I could write. The type that I’d end up writing I really shouldn’t, and I havn’t got the creativity, or the interest, for anything more inspiring. I’d want it to be perfect. I‘d want it to slot seamlessly into the series, or follow on as if it had always been meant to be there, and that would require hours of research. Perhaps if I was one of those real fangirls that would be possible, but my little obsessions change topic so frequently that I never quite reach that point.

What about vampires? It seems to be the thing at the moment. Twilight, Moonlight, True Blood, Being Human. All with varying levels of success, and totally different styles, but all exactly the same core idea – vampires interacting in our world. That seems like the type of thing I could do. But how to make it original, and which mythology to go for?
And I like TV shows that mix genres. I love the idea of zombies and Jane Austen, or vampires in the middle of a Blitz flick. My sci-fi should be firmly set in the past. But everything I like I only like because I’ve seen it done before, and better than I could ever do. And so another summer passes with me barely writing anything at all, except the occasional letter to a pen-pal, some stuff for work, a few Facebook messages, and this blog. And this really needs to change.

In other news, after cleaning the house for about two days the landlords didn’t even look at it. The usual miscommunication, it was a chat and not an inspection. Ah well. Guess it’s good that the house is tidy anyways.

1 comment:

Anna Feyt said...

I know this feeling exactly! I used to write heaps and heaps when I was younger but now it's just like I...waste time online XP and knowing what to write about it so hard. I tried out fanfiction but I'm not really hardcore into anything enough...so now it's just floating about hopelessly and generally being too lazy =(

How to make the change? I'll definitely be trying to do NaNoWriMo this November...