Wednesday 21 October 2009

Internet spoilers

So today I didn't do much apart from watch Dollhouse. Well, I still did a translation, attended a lecture, a French class, was visited by a good friend I hadn't seen in ages, and hung out with my Austrian friend to eat fruit and watch the new BBC 'Emma', but otherwise I watched Dollhouse. Six episodes of it. Which I'm a little embarassed to admit, because I had a good half a dozen other things I should have been doing (mainly Kennedy related stuff, but also reviewing Watchmen), but this show is soooooo addictive.

I really wasn't expecting it to be that great, I'd heard pretty mixed things about it - the reports of extensive re-filming, and whispers that it was the first real Whedon screw-up. But I absolutely love it. I mean, it's far from perfect - the refilming and filler material is obvious in the first few episodes, and whilst I know that it's a show partly about the objectification (if that's a real word) of women, I wish they didn't have to be show quite so many lingering shots of female body . . . but it's the type of series that feels like it knows where it's going. It manages to slowly unravel the story, little by little giving us glimpses until it all starts to add up, without crawling to a pace that insults viewers' intelligence (like Flashforward), or careering around mulitple red-herrings (like Lost). Whedon is a man with a game plan. Sadly, he's a man with such a need for closure that he filmed a future-set finale for the DVD, in the belief that the series was going to be cancelled . . . and then they renewed it. I havn't got to the end of the series yet, and I probably won't get to see the second series currently airing in America for months, but it will be very interesting to see how he will continue a show that has kind of already ended - whether he will see this as only a possible future, something for the second series to work towards, or ignore it completely.

Anyway, what I logged on to say is that this is the first series in years that I havn't looked up spoilers for. I have a terrible habit of reading through tv series on wikipedia, even if I know that I plan to watch them, or even as I'm sitting in front of the tv watching them . . . I don't know what that says about me. Impatient, doesn't like scary suprises, likes to know what's going on in the media world. Yes, yes and yes. And I know that part of the reason that I've managed to avoid spoilers for this series is that I'm watching it over a few days, rather than a few weeks. Thank goodness for dvd boxsets. I havn't been able to geniunally enjoy the twists and turns of a series for so long. But it's also refreshing to find something so slow-burning and well-written that you don't want to know what happens next until the writer chooses to show you, you just want to go with the flow - I felt the same about Mad Men. I fear that the next series of Dollhouse can't live up to this, second series are always a danger-game, especially if the writer wasn't expecting to write them, had brought things to a close, and then has to re-open Pandora's jigsaw box and start re-arranging the pieces into something meaningful. But for now it is food for thought, one of those morally puzzling shows that leaves you asking questions in your sleep, and I'm really enjoying it. Oh, and that FBI dude is HOT :)

So dream job at the moment? Television script writer. Though most of them seem to have very little creative independence, respect, pay or job security . . . . so let's change that to Joss Whedon. When I grow up I would like to be Joss Whedon. There you go Mum.

2 comments:

Jessie Carty said...

I can relate to wanting to be Joss Whedon or JJ Ambrams. Yeah. Or Kristen Whig from Saturday Night Live. God she kills me!

I didn't start watching Dollhouse because of all the rumors it was going to be canceled but maybe I'll pick up the DVD's :)

ghostwritten said...

I'd definitely recommend Dollhouse - it's far from perfect, and the end of the series did feel a little rushed, as they wanted to finish up storylines in case they were cancelled . . . but there's some brilliant character development, and when you see the dvd finale and realise what they were aiming for, you wish they had five series to unravel it slowly.