Thursday 31 December 2009

2010 - Looking Forward

I’m not usually one for New Year’s resolutions (well, I am, but they’re never realistic, and I don’t usually plan on sticking to them). But, you know, it will soon be 2010, and this seems like as good a time as any to try and turn over a new leaf on certain things :) But no promises, because I’ll probably have given up before the month is out:

1. I’d like to read at least one novel a week, and either vlog or blog about each one. This may require me to spend less time procrastinating on the internet, and more time doing my pre-internet hobby, reading, but that’s a sacrifice I’m becoming willing to make :)
2. I’d like to become more fit and healthy. So, vary my diet to include things other than pasta and bread when I’m at uni, and get ‘some’ exercise, instead of none.
3. I’d like to work towards more regular communication with friends that I’m beginning to lose touch with, and let the friends and family in my life know that I appreciate them.
4. And this is more of a goal than a resolution, but I’d like to get a 2.1 for my degree, and know what I plan to do for the next year or two before my exams. I have some rough ideas, but things need applying for and setting in motion.


I was going to do some predictions for the next decade, but if the noughties taught me anything it was that virtually every big moment or trend was unexpected for most of us. So perhaps there’s not much point in guessing. I think a lot of the big problems of this decade – global warming, the credit crunch, Afghanistan/Iraq, terrorism and Islamaphobia – won’t be ‘sorted’ in the next one, though hopefully things will improve. I think Obama will be a good President, though won’t achieve as much as people hoped. I think Cameron will be an unpopular PM, though people will take a while to decide this, and that David Miliband will be hugely popular at first, and will then become increasingly controversial. I think, as many people I’ve spoken to recently do too, that communication will become ever more varied and easier, that we’ll increasingly spend more time talking to like-minded people on the other side of the country or world than those around us, and that this will have both pros and cons. There will be bigger and more world-absorbing interactive game experiences, where fiction and reality become blurred. TV and film will become more interactive and visual-focused to try and stand-out from the web. The news will continue to follow internet trends. Online will be the place to be.

That’s all for now :)

1 comment:

Jessie Carty said...

loved reading your predictions :)
and those are some good resolutions. i've totally restructured my reading and i'm going through a novel a week. i'm going to keep track of each book on a list and note the day i finish it for fun...and of course, to blog more about it!