Monday 2 November 2009

Witches and words

This blog comes to you in three parts. All will be hastily written, as it is 00.43, and I need to be up early in the mornng

Part 1: Halloween. Halloween was brilliant. It was misty, someone was playing sinister music on the organ in the unlit chapel, some wonderful person had put two pumpkin lanterns either side of the top floor window of the staff office building. My little Austrian friend and I went shopping for sugary goodies, bought far too much, and headed down several long, dark roads to a big old accomodation block, telling scary stories along the way. We then watched 'Dracula', ate too much chocolate, and got slightly hysterical over the Austrian's hilarious running commentary on the Freudian nature of the film, and the outrageous depiction of women, whilst another friend insisted that the movie was merely a tourist information film about her own country, and that she frequently crawled down walls to go to the shops in the morning. On the way back we encountered many a zombiefied student. And I sat in my window seat watching 'Donnie Darko' until 3.30am in the morning. Perfect.

Part 2: NaNoWriMo. Yes, because I am mad, and many an internet person is doing it, I have decided to attempt to write a novel in a month. Yes, that is 50,000 words whilst trying to write a dissertation. The hope is that after that this the 15,000 word dissertation will feel like nothing. And that filling my day up with more things will make my life feel more structured . . . . ? Well, I'm already two days behind, and all I have is a rough plot outline. But I think a challenge would be good for me. For anyone who is interested, my profile is here: http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/584654
Nothing posted on it so far, but there will be tomorrow.

Part 3: Selwyn Snowball. Tickets go on sale on Friday, and I am hopefully going :) Yey.

Now to sleep.

1 comment:

Jessie Carty said...

Didn't you just love Donnie Darko!

My Halloween was very mild but I watched quite a few documentaries about haunted houses and somehow that was satisfying :)