Wednesday 10 December 2008

Films, films, films . . .


For a blog called 'Ruthlovesmovies' I very rarely (if ever) actually talk about films . . . so I thought I'd tell you about two I've seen in the last fortnight or so.

Firstly, 'Changeling'. A lot better than I thought it was going to be, a brilliant film in fact, but more than a little traumatic (not one to take the mother to!) I'm not sure whether it was the blatant lies of the corrupt police force, the terror of a woman thrown into an institute for disagreeing with the men around her, or what was really happening to the children . . . but this wasn't one for the faint-hearted. Wouldn't be suprised if Angelina Jolie gets the Oscar, and she would almost deserve it for this. And Clint Eastwood's direction was near flawless, though I still think I prefer 'Mystic River'.

More importantly, though, 'Waltz with Bashir'. Wow, what a film. I went in with high expectations, and they were totally surpassed. The 'Haunted Sea' scene (see picture above), which everything revolves around, is one of the most breathtaking, spine-tingling thirty or so seconds of animation and music that I have ever seen. It is a totally new slant on animation, documentary and portayals of war in general, and I hope it wins every award going. Probably my film of the year, I really want to see it again. I must say, very graphic and explicit in places (it gets it's 18 certificate for a good few reasons), and certainly wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea, but it is a very original film, the type that gives you hope for the movie industry :) And the soundtrack is INCREDIBLE.

No comments: